Sjögren's Syndrome Quick Facts
- Sjögren's ("SHOW-grins") Syndrome occurs when the body's white blood cells mistakenly attack moisture-producing glands, causing inflammation and a significant reduction in the quantity and quality of the moisture they can produce.
- Sjögren's disease affects as many as 4 million Americans, 90% of them women.
- The typical age of onset for Sjögren's disease is generally in the late 40s, although it can strike at any age.
- Although Sjögren's disease is one of the most common autoimmune disorders, it often goes unrecognized, as its symptoms are frequently diagnosed and treated separately.
- The hallmark sign of Sjögren's Syndrome is severe dry eye, but symptoms can also include dryness of the mouth, joint pain, and fatigue.
- Although dry eye usually results from decreased production of tears, or tears that don't stay on the eye as long as they should, Sjögren's disease eye dryness can actually be caused by both factors, making it much more severe in some cases.
- There is no cure for Sjögren's disease, but its symptoms are generally treatable.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
If you think you may have Sjögren's Syndrome, it's best to see your doctor for proper diagnosis. Sjögren's disease can lead to complications, so early diagnosis and proper treatment are crucial. Sjögren's disease may be difficult to recognize, so make sure your doctor is familiar with the condition. Also, don't forget to point out any and all symptoms, as well as any medications you may be taking.
To download a PDF of questions to ask your doctor about Sjögren's Syndrome and dry eye, click here.
How SYSTANE® Can Help Dry Eye
Unfortunately, Sjögren's Syndrome currently does not have a cure. However, in most cases, you can treat its individual symptoms. For Sjögren's disease eye dryness, for instance, an artificial tear is typically the recommended course of action. SYSTANE® features an entire family of products that have been proven effective at relieving the symptoms of dry eye.
- SYSTANE® ULTRA Lubricant Eye Drops provides comfort and protection from the symptoms of dry eye, with a new, long-lasting formula, so you don't have to apply drops as often.
- If you do find yourself regularly having to reapply drops, try SYSTANE® ULTRA Preservative-Free Formula. These single-use vials offer moisture and protection without preservatives.
- You can protect your eyes from dryness during the day, but what about while you sleep? To keep your eyes moist and protected overnight, apply SYSTANE® NIGHTTIME Lubricant Eye Ointment before you go to bed.
The Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation
For more than 25 years, the Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation has been dedicated to improving the lives of patients with Sjögren's disease – increasing awareness, providing education, and advocating research for a cure. SYSTANE® is a proud supporter of the Foundation and encourages you to learn more and get involved.
For more information about Sjögren's disease, or to become a member of the Foundation, visit sjogrens.org.Back to the Top